That ad for Rolos is one of my all time favourite romantic adverts.
It beat off stiff competition mind, from the likes of the Milk Tray Man and the awww John Lewis couple*.
Growing up I felt I knew exactly what real love was. And it wasn't from the pages of Just 17 or admiring Mark Owen in Smash Hits magazine. Yes, the first time round.
Real love was giving that someone your last Rolo. Which, being Valentine's Day this week, inspired this bake.
The irony of course is that the adverts were discontinued after twenty years because the slogan was felt to be too sentimental and in any case, apparently the British prefer humour rather than romance in our relationships.
These heart shaped caramel cakes, complete with a hidden Rolo baked right in the middle are drizzled with dark chocolate and topped, for extra romance, with a white chocolate heart.
Rolo Caramel and Chocolate Heart Cakes
150g softened butter
100g caster sugar
2 large egg beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g self-raising flour
4 level tbsp caramel sauce
3-4 tbsps milk
12 Rolos (frozen)
50g dark chocolate, melted
12 Dr Oetker White Chocolate Heart decorations
Silicone heart shaped moulds x 12
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/Gas Mark 4.
2. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the egg and vanilla, continuing to beat until fully incorporated. Fold in the flour.
3. Stir in the caramel sauce and gradually add the milk until smooth and the mixture falls easily off the spoon. Place 1 tbsp of mixture at the bottom of each mould and add a Rolo to each. Divide the rest of the mixture between the 12 moulds and smooth the tops
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until risen and golden
5. After a few minutes cooling in the moulds, remove and allow to cool fully on a wire rack
6. Drizzle the chocolate over each cake and top with a chocolate heart
- Although tempted to smother these cakes in inches of chocolate buttercream I think my sweet tooth is getting marginally less sweet in its old age and I elected to drizzle with dark chocolate instead
- Who will you be giving your last Rolo to this Valentines Day?
Dr Oetker sent me a bunch of products to test out. I used their Chocolate Hearts to decorate these cakes.