The days are getting shorter, the early mornings chillier, Strictly is soon to return to our screens but fear not! For here is the What Kate Baked guide to extending the summer...
Ten ways to Prolong that Summer Feeling...
1. Replace all meals with a picnic. When a recipe states to season, do replace salt and pepper with a generous sprinkling of sand
2. Relive the Olympics. Remember those golden days? Ever few hours, stand on your chair/podium at work, drape yourself in the British flag and sing the National Anthem a la Wiggo/Hoy/Ennis. A few tears will add to the effect
3. Wear sunglasses all the time. The jibes of 'plonker' as you wear them indoors will soon wear off
4. Replace your Five a Day with Magnum, Solero, Twister, Mini Milk and Fab
5. Provide any visitors to your home with a (overpriced) tour of The Lost Ancient Monumental Wonder of World that is...your back garden.
6. Stockpile summery, fragrant, slightly-too-warm-but-who-cares-its-the-summer rose wine
7. Carry on wearing your summer wardrobe. Thermals can be worn but only if very carefully hidden underneath
8. Take a four day week and every Monday off work- each week is August Bank Holiday! Rain is required
9. Replace your usual body lotion with sunscreen
10. Add strawberries to any cake you bake...
Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
This recipe is from Bake and Decorate by Fiona Cairns, the only adaptation I've made is to pop on top strawberries rather than the raspberries suggested
- Ground almonds or pecans can be substituted for the hazelnuts
- Serve with a great big dollop of creme fraiche to turn the cake into a perfect pudding
- I actually love the Autumn so tune in next week for 10 REeasons to Love the Autumn!!
- Meanwhile, this cake is heading straight over to the wonder-supersized blogging challenge hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Dom from Belleau Kitchen. It's none other than Tea Time Random Recipe Treats: