There are some things in life that can cause considerable amounts of stress.
Having a baby.
Starting a new job.
And watching Wales play rugby.
Last Sunday, as Wales took on the might of the South Africans in the Rugby World Cup an entire nation spent eighty minutes experiencing insurmountable levels of stress. It was a heck of a game. A game spent alternating between despair and (almost) glory. Cardiac arrhythmias unknown to the medical profession were noted. 2.94 millions people experienced breathing difficulties holding their breath in anticipation as James Hook attempted the penalties.
There are three ways to cope with such stress.
Gin. Chocolate. And kneading bread.
This particular loaf requires some muscle to knead. But it is worth it. And a great stress-reliever to boot.
What bakes do you make to relieve stress? Answers on a postcard please. Or the comments section below would be lovely too.
Walnut and Raisin Bread
175g strong wholemeal flour
175g strong white bread flour
115g wholemeal rye flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fast acting dried yeast
115g walnuts, toasted and chopped
2 tablespoons walnut oil
1 tablespoon runny honey
325ml hand hot water
1. Grease a baking sheet
2. Combine the flours, yeast, salt, walnuts and raisins in a large mixing bowl
3. Stir in the oil, honey and water
4. Mix, initally with a knife then your hands to a soft dough
5. Turn out onto an unfloured work surface and knead for 5-6 minutes until smooth
6. Shape into an oblong, roughly 18cm in size, and using a sharp knife make a cut along the the length
7. Dust with rye flour
8. Cover and prove in a warm place until doubled in size
9. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200C/400F
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes
- If you haven't walnut oil to hand, olive oil works just as well
- To toast the walnuts, fry them gently in a dry frying pan for a few minutes until golden brown, like this:
- Super-yummy with cheese, like this:
- I've had a name change! Yep, the blog previously known as Kate's Cakes and Bakes is now here- it was demanded of me; email me and I'll tell you for why!