In the vast depths of an industrial baking kitchen, we hereby open The
Katescakesandbakes v Random Recipes
Katescakesandbakes is called to the stand to take the oath:
"I swear by Delia Smith that I will tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."
The presiding Judge requests katescakesandbakes to please proceed with the evidence.
'Yes, your Honour.
When Dom from Belleau Kitchen requested we choose this month's Random Recipe from our favourite cookbook, I thought long and hard your Honour. I had sleepless nights, your Honour. Eventually, your Honour I selected Nigel Slater's Real Fast Food.
I adore this book your Honour. The recipes don't require hours of intense labour or acres of washing up. It provides inspiration after long days at work, on days when I don't feel like cooking and on days when I need to eat, fast.
However, your Honour, I feel I ought to disqualify myself from this month's challenge for cheating and choosing such a simple recipe: Grilled peaches.
Although in my defence, your Honour:
Firstly, the random recipe generator (my thumb, Your Honour) should take full responsibility for the recipe chosen.
Secondly, Your Honour, it really is a bloomin tasty recipe.... Would you like to try some?'
There is an interlude in proceedings while Honourable Judge Nigella samples the Peaches.
Several hours later, once Honourable Judge Nigella has returned from sampling second helpings at midnight, katescakesandbakes continues.
'And if I may finish with calling to the stand my first witness your Honour, Elizabeth David, who succintly once said:
''The sweet course presents no problem in the summer..there is nothing more delicious than fruit'
I'm finished your Honour'
The jury's out. Guilty or Not Guilty?
(from Nigel Slater, Real Fast Food)
2 tbsps honey
juice of half a lemon
2 ripe peaches
2 tsps butter
1. Mix the honey and lemon juice in a small bowl
2. Preheat the grill to a medium heat
3. Cut the peaches in half and remove the stones
4. Dot a little of the butter on top of each peach
5. Brush the halved peaches with the honey and lemon and place under the grill for 5-8 minutes
- The peaches are ready when they are golden in colour and the honey turns all bubbly
- These are delicious with dollop of creme fraiche or yogurt
- It may just be the best ever way to eat peaches