Is it just me or is there a disproportionally large number of telly programmes on at the moment about the lives of the very wealthy, their super cars, luxurious holidays, humongous mansions and considerably inflated bank accounts?
Take the BBC's 'Inside Necker Island: A Billionaire's Paradise', on our screens the first week of January and possibly the cruelest bit of TV scheduling ever. Chilly, dark, impoverished January evenings are never, ever improved by watching an hour of rich people paying £30,000 per week to frolic in azure blue seas, sunbathe on long stretches of golden sand and sip piña coladas by the infinity pool. Or the uber-richskis on 'Super-Rich and Us' spending over £50,000 in all of five seconds in the back of a limo on diamond jewellery when the rest of us are counting our pennies until payday.
The answer for us mere mortals? These Jaffa Chocolate Pots: an indulgent, glorious taste of paradise. And should you need another excuse to make them (really, you do?) lets celebrate chocolate in the week that Cadbury's rather outrageously revealed their Creme Eggs are no longer made from Daily Milk but a “standard cocoa mix chocolate”. I'm not sure what a 'standard cocoa mix chocolate' is either, but it certainly sounds
*Sure, I haven't tasted the new version but really Cadbury's, really.
Jaffa Chocolate Pots
(Makes 4 generous pots)
300g double cream
2 tbsp Cointrou Orange Liqour (optional)
4 clementines or satsumas
2 Cadbury's Flake (or similar)
1. Melt the chocolate in a small glass bowl suspended over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring regularly. Once melted, remove from the heat.
2. Whip the cream until just thickened and fold in the melted chocolate and liqour
3. Divide between four glasses or ramekins and chill for at least two hours. Top with the clementine/satsuma segments and crushed Flake bars
- I used Cadbury's Dairy Milk in homage to this week's events but darker chocolate would add a lovely, rich taste
- These pots can also be left to chill overnight and are a rather fine make-ahead dessert